To ensure the quality of work meets industry standard and to keep you and your family safe, always use an industry recognised trader and/or dealer.
In Australia there are unlicensed dealers and traders operating in backyards and on roadsides exposing the public and environment to risks through:
- Used car and motorbike sales
- Car Rentals
- Body Repairs
- Tyre Sales and/or fitting
- Vehicle recycling
If you believe someone may be undertaking a backyard operation or operating illegally, make an anonymous report to the MTA SA/NT and we will work to keep you and the public safe. We will provide details of the report to the relevant authority to investigate and prosecute where breaches are identified.
By using a backyard automotive trader and/or dealer there is no guarantee they are abiding by their obligations, immediately exposing you to risk.
Did you know that…
- Purchasing a used vehicle from an authorised dealer guarantees you are protected by the Second-hand Dealers Compensation Fund.
- Purchasing a vehicle from an unlicensed or private second-hand dealer means you are not covered if the vehicle is faulty or has been misrepresented at the time of sale.
- Buying and/or having wheels fitted by an unlicensed trader is a massive safety threat with cheap imports and/or incorrectly fitted wheels immediately exposing you and your family to health and safety risks the moment you drive on the road.
- Renting cars from an unlicensed trader without the correct legal protection could leave you exposed both financially and physically in the event of an accident.
- Selling or giving your old vehicle to an unlicensed car recycler is a potential environmental hazard with many backyard traders not following the correct “end of life” procedures for managing and disposing of gas, oil, tyres, air-conditioning gas and more.
- By using a backyard trader or dealer the only thing that is guaranteed is the risk!
The Australian Consumer Law (ACL) is there to protect you, always choose to engage an authorised industry expert and report traders and dealers illegally operating from their backyard.